Lynden Precipitation Summary: 2011 - present
The table shows below shows monthly rainfall totals for Lynden, WA for the past 10 years. While you may not live in Lynden, you can get a sense of the total amount of precipitation we have had this year compared to previous years. Use this information to assess your current storage and understand the conditions that contribute to storage capacity and manure application timing.
Table: Annual rainfall for Lynden, WA by month with total annual rainfall and total storage period (Oct-Mar) values listed.
*Storage Period Total = the total amount of precipitation received from October 1 to March 31. You have to look at two years for this information. For example the storage period for 2016 is calculated from Oct 2015 to Mar 2016.
Weather Forecast and Records
When discussing the forecast, the current day is always included. For example, a 3 day forecast is for the current day and two days forward.
- NOAA 6-Day Forecast - Provides daily highs, low, and chance of rain as well as many other resources. NOAA forecasts are used for the manure spreading advisory (MSA).
- WSU AgWeatherNet – Current, detailed weather conditions for the Whatcom Count area. Use this information for assessing temperature, wind speed, wind direction, etc. prior to manure applications or irrigation events.
- Weather Underground 10-day Forecast – Provides daily rainfall amount forecasts. In addition, you can access historical data by entering in your location then click on “History” tab located under the local station information).
The following sources provide a discussion of the long range forecast as well as current weather events. This can be used for anticipating coming weather events and planning ahead.
- The Weather Cafe by Rufus
- Cliff Mass Weather Blog
- Washington State Climatologist - Climate Outlook
- WSU AgWeatherNet Outlook
Local Weather Records and Other Tools
- WSU AgWeatherNet – There are currently 9 weather stations in Whatcom County recording data every 15 minutes. You can create an account and save your local station information, and/or access it from your phone using their mobile interface. Use this information for assessing temperature, wind speed, wind direction, etc. prior to applications or irrigation events. If necessary, adjust your practices accordingly to accommodate current weather conditions.
- Farm West - A Canadian based page that gives a short range forecast as well as good information on manure application practices as they relate to the current weather and season.
- CoCoRaHS - Community Collaborative Rain, Hail and Snow Network is a community based volunteer input of precipitation data on a daily basis. You can join too! WCD has the "approved" rain gauges available. Just come on in, pick one up and join the network.
- Northwest River Forecast Center - NOAA provides a forecast of river levels across the State. Look to this when concerned about flooding so you can be prepared.
- USGS Current Streamflow Data - USGS provides current streamflow data for a number of river in Whatcom County. Look under "Nooksack River Basin" for the river/stream near you to see how water levels compare to historical averages.