top of page
Farm field

Public Records Request

The Whatcom Conservation District (WCD) values your right to access public records. Washington law requires that, on request, WCD will make identifiable, public records available for inspection and copying.

How Do I Make a Public Records Request?

You must make your request in writing and then send it to WCD Your request must include a valid telephone number and valid mailing address or e-mail address for WCD to respond. There are several ways to make a request.

Online: You may use our online form.

E-mail, fax, mail, or hand-delivery: Write your request, preferably on Form WCD 001 (Download printable form) and then.

  • E-mail to

  • Mail:

    • Whatcom Conservation District
      6975 Hannegan Road
      Lynden, WA 98264

  • Hand deliver:    

    • 6975 Hannegan Road
      Lynden, WA

How Long will it Take for you to Respond?

WCD will respond within five business days of receiving your request. Our response will either:

  • Include the requested records.

  • Acknowledge the request and, if necessary, ask for clarification.

  • Give a reasonable estimate of how long it will take to provide the record.

  • Deny the request and cite the legal reason for the denial.


What will it Cost?

Inspecting records is free. The records are available for inspection and photocopying (excluding legal holidays) Monday through Friday, 9 A.M. to 12 P.M. and from 1 P.M. to 4 P.M. Please make an appointment by calling 360-526-2381 X 101.

If you want copies of the records, the law allows state agencies to charge for the actual costs of producing public records. In some instances, advance payment may be required.

  • Black and white copies, letter: 15 cents a page  (Legal and tabloid sized copies count as two copies per side by the copier.)

  • CD or DVD: Actual costs incurred by agency

  • All other formats and mailing costs: Actual costs incurred by agency


What Records are Exempt from Disclosure?

Only records that are exempt by law may be withheld from disclosure. Common exemptions include the following.

  • Archaeological Site Records: Maps or other information identifying location of site or sites. [Revised Code of Washington 42.56.300]

  • Preliminary Documents: Preliminary drafts, notes, recommendations, and intra-agency memorandums in which opinions are expressed or policies formulated or recommended UNLESS cited publicly or within an official public record. [Revised Code of Washington 42.56.280]

  • Personal Information: Information not related to disciplinary action or performance as a district employee (e.g., payroll records, examination questions, medical condition information, Social Security number, residence address, personal phone numbers, and personal e-mail addresses). [Revised Code of Washington 42.56.230, 42.56.250, 42.56.210(1)]

  • Farm Plans: Farm plans developed by conservation districts, unless permission to release the farm plan is granted by the landowner or operator who requested the plan, and farm plans developed under chapter 90.48 Revised Code of Washington and not under the federal clean water act, 33 U.S.C. Sec. 1251 et seq. [Revised Code of Washington 42.56.270]


For More Information
Brandy Reed, Public Records Officer
Telephone: 360-526-2381

bottom of page